Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Part 3


So, I just wanted to continue with a little additional post about the birth. Teagen, Adam and I had a wonderful hospital stay. We stayed for 3 nights and opted out on the fourth. After all, we were experienced parents, what could go wrong? Although we left tired, we were much more rested than we had ever thought we would be. Teagen had peacefully slept up to 6 hours a night at the hospital(don't worry...that luck has not lasted) and we were feeling good. So, home we went. About 2 hours after we got home, I started to get headaches. These were not your grandmothers headaches, rather hit me over the head with a sledgehammer and throw me in front of a moving car headaches. I figured it was from my milk coming in or maybe I was just more tired than I had thought. Hours went by and they got worse. I hadn't seen the light of day but rather the side of the couch as I laid with a pillow over my head blocking the 'painfully bright lights'. I have never experienced this before. I don't get headaches. They suck.
So, around 7 Adam and my mom had me call the hospital. They said it could be from the medication so to take some caffeine/sugar with my next round of narcotics and call in two hours if it is not better. Better, it was worse. Now, I was in true agony over these headaches but on top of that, I had a caffeine and sugar high as my body had been deprived of all those wonderful things the past 9 months.
So, Adam called this time as I was in no shape. Better come in. What, this sucks! So, around 11pm we headed back to the hospital with baby in tow. (Eli thankfully stayed with my mom.) I was thinking an in and out kinda deal. Were they check me, tell me I need sleep and pain medication and send us on our merry way. Wrong. Admitted. More IV's. 13 hours of a caffeine drip. Headaches from hell. Wired off caffeine. Could it get any worse??
Yes. Rare complication from the spinal. Are you kidding? No. Turns out they have to do another spinal to repair the little itty bitty hole that is leaking spinal fluid into my body/brain thus resulting in killer headaches. Am I dreaming? No. Sure thing anesthesia comes in, preps me for another spinal. This time, someone is at my arm and as soon as they find the spot of the spinal they take blood from my arm and inject it into my spin to repair the hole. Blood patch. Does it work? instantly. The best relief I have ever felt in my life. We were stuck under observation for another 6 hours and then headed back home.
At this point, I hadn't slept in almost 2 days and now I was truly feeling like a new parent...
does the fun ever end??

No comments:

Post a Comment